Upcoming May Events in Santa Ynez Valley
There are so many reasons to spend the month of May in Santa Ynez Valley! Our charming towns of Ballard, Buellton, Los Alamos, Los Olivos, Santa Ynez and Solvang are ready for some terrific summer fun. Whether you are looking for a solo adventure, something romantic, or living the family life, start making plans now for your weekend getaway in Santa Ynez.
We’ve highlighted the best events in May you’ll want to cover on your next Santa Ynez visit, but here are just some of the ways you can celebrate the end of the school year and the beginning of summer in this great part of California:
- Cinco de Mayo: This commemorative holiday is all about celebrating Mexican cultural heritage, and we’ve got you covered on music and food to celebrate. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo this Friday, Saturday & Sunday in the Valley. Dos Carlitos Restaurant & Tequila Bar has $5 El Charro Margaritas, $8 Cazadores Margarita with Coronita floater & $3 Cerveza specials.
- Mother’s Day: Mom will just love spending time with her favorite family in the Santa Ynez Valley. Mom deserves to get away, and there’s no dishes to be washed here in the SYV. A popular brunch spot for Mother’s Day in the SYV is at the Marriott Hotel. You might also consider this painting event at Sunstone Winery.
- Memorial Day: This may be the “official” start of summer, but we’ll already have the season well under way. Read below for upcoming Memorial Day Events in SYV.
- Festivals: We’re big on celebrating just about everything in our area, but see below for more information on May’s Buellton Brew Fest and June’s Los Olivos Jazz & Olive Festival.
- Touring: Carve out some time for yourself and take a bike tour or a driving tour of our area. There is just so much to do, see and enjoy, you’ll be glad you did.
- Getting Romantic: We’ve got lots of ideas for romantic summer afternoons to get the spark glowing. If Santa Ynez Valley has already worked its charms on you, then it’s time to come back for a swinging bachelorette party or an elegant wedding celebration. Download our top 25 romantic trip planning tips to help you plan the perfect romantic getaway in the Santa Ynez Valley!
May is also the start of the Summer Wine Tour Season. Take advantage of The Summer Pass from the Santa Ynez Valley Wine Country Association. Taste at fourteen winery tasting rooms for just $45, from May 1 – August 31, 2017.
Buellton Brew Fest
Kick off the 2017 central coast beer festival season with one of the best festivals in Santa Barbara County. The sixth annual Buellton Brew Fest will feature over 50 breweries, wineries and spirits and live entertainment by DJ Hecktik, Out of the Blue, and The Caverns. This annual event takes place at River View Park in Buellton on Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. General Admission ($45) begins at 12:30 p.m. Must be 21 and over; identification will be verified at the door. Rain or shine event. No refunds. No coolers. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets and enjoy the day!
May, Mother’s Day and Memorial Day Activities in Santa Ynez Valley
There are plenty of fun may events in Santa Ynez Valley all month long, to be sure, but don’t miss these special May, Mother’s Day and Memorial Day activities in the Santa Ynez Valley:
- 15th Annual SYV Earth Day: Free event, Sunday, May 21 from noon until 5:00 p.m. at River View Park in Buellton, hosted by the Santa Ynez Valley Botanic Garden. Activities include sustainable solutions, environmental non-profits, water-wise landscaping, Kids Green Zone, family activities and prizes, silent auction, beer and wine garden, food court, live entertainment and guest speakers.
- Riders in the Sky: Kick off the Solvang Festival Theater season on Friday, May 5 @ 7:30 p.m. when the Grammy Award- winning Riders in the Sky – America’s favorite cowboys – come to Solvang for a special fundraising event. Fun for the entire family with great western music and wit. After the concert meet the artists. Come early and enjoy Solvang Bakery sweets and savories before the show.
- Rancheros Visitadores Ride for a Cure: Saturday, May 6 from 2-4 p.m. through downtown Solvang to Old Mission Santa Ines. Hundreds of “visiting ranchers” commemorate traditional rides on horseback and in wagons to a public blessing at Old Mission Santa Ines, followed by a private encampment.
- Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon: Saturday, May 13 from 7:00 am until 12:30 pm. Enjoy a scenic course, running from downtown Santa Ynez through Los Olivos into Solvang. Celebrate at the post-race Wine & Music Festival in Solvang Park. Run the half marathon or the two-person relay.
- Mother’s Day Weekend Painting in the Vineyard: Saturday, May 13 from 11:00 am until 1:30 pm. Treat Mom to a Painting in the Vineyard experience at the gorgeous Brander Vineyard in Los Olivos. A trained artist walks participants through the entire painting process step-by-step. No previous painting experience is necessary. $65 per person includes a full tasting of Brander Vineyard wine and all the supplies necessary to create a landscape masterpiece.
- Santa Ynez Valley Youth Recreation Mother’s Day Breakfast: Sunday, May 14 from 8:00 a.m. until noon at Santa Ynez Valley Union High School.
- Memorial Weekend Observances: On Saturday, May 27, crosses and VFW Medallions will be placed on veterans’ graves at the Santa Ines Mission, Chalk Hill, Oak Hill, and Saint Mark’s Cemeteries. The public is invited to view or assist in this observance. VFW Post 7139 Members will hand out Red Poppies at the front of Albertsons in Buellton from 1PM to 3PM on Saturday and Sunday, May 27-28. On Memorial Day, May 29, American Legion Post 160 will conduct short ceremonies at 10AM in Chalk Hill, 10:30AM in Santa Ines Mission, 11AM in Oak Hill, and 11:30 in Saint Mark’s Cemeteries. VFW Post 7139 will conduct a hallowed VFW Memorial Day Ceremony at 12PM, at the Solvang Park Flag Pole. The ceremony will include The Santa Ynez Wind Ensemble; Rear Admiral Brian Brown, Vice Commander, Joint Forces Component Command for Space, from Vandenberg AFB; Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans; American Legion Post 160; Boy Scouts; and a fly over of vintage military aircraft. A barbecue hosted by the Solvang Vikings Club for veterans and their families will follow the ceremony.
- Memorial Weekend – Live Music at Zaca Mesa: Saturday, May 27 from noon until 3:00 pm at Zaca Mesa Winery in Los Olivos. Enjoy an afternoon full of complimentary live music from Sean Wiggins! Event is free for everyone, so bring your friends, pack a picnic, and buy a bottle of wine to enjoy for a great afternoon.
- Paint in the Vineyard for Memorial Day: Monday, May 29 from 10:30 am until 1:00 pm at Lincourt Vineyard in Solvang. This painting in the vineyard class provides a beautiful, stress-free environment that will both inspire your creative spirit and indulge the wine-lover in you. No previous painting experience necessary.
- Cooking with Pascale Beale: Saturday, May 13 from 1-3pm at Buttonwood Farm Winery in Solvang. Learn to make dishes from farm fresh fruits and vegetables, talk about wine pairings and taste Buttonwood estate-grown wines. Meet and chat with the cook and author of multiple cookbooks. Look for the special Mother’s Day Weekend Package from ForFriends Inn in Santa Ynez.
If that’s not enough, here is a sneak peek ahead into what’s happening at the beginning of June – the Los Olivos Jazz & Olive Festival takes place on Saturday, June 3 from 1:00 until 4:00 pm at Lavinia Campbell Park in Los Olivos. This annual festival features wines poured by thirty area wineries, food tastings prepared by thirty chefs, olive products vendors, and great live jazz by some of the biggest names in jazz, for an all-inclusive $65. Tickets are available now.
Visit our website at VisitSYV.com before coming to the Santa Ynez Valley for a listing of Santa Ynez hotels and Santa Ynez Valley restaurants. You’ll also find a complete listing of things to do in Santa Ynez Valley, in case this hasn’t given you enough ideas!
Come enjoy these May events in Santa Ynez Valley!
About VisitSYV.com: Visit Santa Ynez Valley provides listings of the best Santa Ynez wineries, best places to eat in Solvang, Santa Ynez hotels and inns, and things to do in Santa Ynez Valley. Visit the website at www.VisitSYV.com for complete travel and visitor services. “Like” the Facebook page for ideas on planning Santa Ynez vacations. Email info@VisitSYV.com for help planning your next vacation in the Santa Ynez Valley.