Summer Fun in the Santa Ynez Valley
Wow, it seems like summer just started and it’s already time to think about going back to school. Have no fear – there is still plenty of summer fun here in the Santa Ynez Valley! Our towns of Ballard, Buellton, Los Alamos, Los Olivos, Santa Ynez and Solvang will make the last days of summer the best. There is so much to do that you just might want to schedule a weekend getaway in Santa Ynez this August. With wine tasting, summer outdoor activities, and plenty of fun family options, we’re here to help you get the most out of your summer.
Head out to the Fess Parker Winery and Vineyard in Los Olivos on Friday and Saturday, August 18 and 19 to celebrate the birthday weekend of Fess Parker with wine and fun.
2017 Revisiting Vintage 2009 Tasting Event: This year guests will taste wines from a single fantastic vintage, 2009 including Bien Nacido Vineyard Pinot Noir, Clone 115 Pinot Noir, Pommard Clone Pinot Noir, Rodney’s Vineyard Syrah and Crockett. Tickets are $50 for Wine Club members, and $75 for a limited number of Wine Club member guests.
Movie Night – “Davy Crockett – King of the Wild Frontier”: Settle in for the evening on the lawn and under the stars! Food and wine will be available to purchase. The evening starts with music by Drive-In Romeos playing their rocking rhythm and blues. Tickets are $20 per person, and $10 for kids 12 and under. All ticket sale profits will be donated to Old Yeller Ranch Rescue, a 501c3 dedicated to rescuing dogs that have run out of shelter time.
Don’t Forget! August is the last month for wine tasting using the Summer Pass from the Santa Ynez Valley Wine Country Association. Enjoy 14 samples at various tasting rooms throughout the Santa Ynez Valley for just $45, through August 31, 2017.
Mark your calendar for these August events in Santa Ynez Valley:
Here are some last-minute summer fun activities you and your family can enjoy during your August vacation to Santa Ynez Valley:
- Solvang Third Wednesday: August 16. Solvang sponsors a special celebration to walk, shop, wine and dine. Enjoy wine and beer tasting, special discounts at local merchants, a farmers market, 3-course meal deals at local restaurants, music in the park and more.
- Solvang Festival Theater: “Newsies The Musical” runs from Thursday, July 27 through Sunday, August 20. The Tony Award-winning Broadway phenomenon tells the story of a band of underdogs who take on the most powerful names in New York in a fight for what’s right. “Twelfth Night” runs from Thursday, August 24 through Sunday, September 10. Filled with a cast of unforgettable characters, Shakespeare’s laugh-filled play combines low pranks with high comedy and the pangs of unrequited love with sublime poetry and exquisite songs.
- Bobby Brown and Tony, Toni Tone Live on Stage: Friday, August 25, 2017, 8:00 p.m. at Chumash Casino Resort. Tickets are $55, $65, and $75.
- In the Vineyard & On the Farm: Saturday, August 5, 4:30-7:30 p.m. at Los Olivos Wine Merchant Cafe’s local farm. Dine with the winemaker, chef, and farmer at this annual farm-to-table event. The afternoon begins with passed hors d’oeuvres on the lawn. Guests can take tours to learn more about the organic vineyard and Cafe Farm. Chef Chris Joslyn will prepare a three-course dinner from freshly picked Cafe Farm produce and a main course with meat from a local ranch. Tickets are $125 per person, including tax and gratuity for this not-for-profit fundraising event for the Santa Ynez Valley Jewish Community. Tickets sell out each year, so make reservations now.
- Cachuma Lake Summer Wildlife Cruises: Through October. Friday, 3-5 PM; Saturday, 10 AM-Noon & 3-5 PM; Sunday, 10 AM-Noon. Park Naturalists guide you on a 2-hour lake cruise aboard a 30-passenger pontoon boat. Cachuma Lake is a thriving habitat for a great variety of wildlife, birds, fish, trees, and plants. In summer, wildflowers spangle the hills, resident birds can be seen displaying and building nests, and fawns appear with does. Adults $15, Kids $10 – ages 5-12, no children under 5.
- 13th Annual Wheels ‘n Windmills Car Show: August 26, 2017. Car enthusiasts will love this local charity vintage car show. A new GM Performance Parts V8 engine will be raffled off during the Car Show Awards Ceremony.
- Movies in the Park: Free family entertainment. The fun begins at 7:30; movies begin at dark. Popcorn and hot chocolate for sale, $1 each. August 4 – Star Wars: Rogue One and August 18 – The Jungle Book at Solvang Park. August 11 – Mary Poppins at Buellton Oak Park.
- Free Live Concerts in Solvang Park: Concerts run from 5-8 p.m., and include edible treats for purchase. August 2, T-Bone Ramblers (Classic Rock), August 9, David Yarnell (Country/Easy Listening), August 11 (Friday), LiveWire (Classic Rock), and August 16, Cuesta Ridge (Progressive Bluegrass) – this is also a Solvang 3rd Wednesday evening.
- Music Under the Stars: Recurring event on Wednesdays from 6:30 – 8:30 pm at The Vineyard House on Sagunto Street in Santa Ynez. Reservations suggested! August 2 Steve Ochoa Trio, August 9 Off The Grid Unplugged, August 16 Wine Country Jazz, August 23 T-Bone Ramblers and August 30 Steve Ochoa Trio.
IT’S COMING!!! The countdown is on for our annual celebration of Danish Days from September 15-17. Overall admission is free, but individual events require tickets: Saturday and/or Sunday morning Æbleskiver Breakfasts, and the “Dane For A Day” VIP Package. Get your tickets now, while they last!
Come Visit Santa Ynez Valley in August!
About VisitSYV.com: Visit Santa Ynez Valley provides listings of the best Santa Ynez wineries, best places to eat in Solvang, Santa Ynez hotels and inns, and things to do in Santa Ynez Valley. Visit the website at www.VisitSYV.com for complete travel and visitor services. “Like” the Facebook page for ideas on planning Santa Ynez vacations. Email info@VisitSYV.com for help planning your next vacation in the Santa Ynez Valley.